Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The cold days of November are upon us.

I have come to regard November as the older, harder man's October. I appreciate the early darkness and cooler temperatures. It puts my mind in a different place than October. It is a month for a quieter, slightly more subdued celebration of summer's death as winter tightens its grip.
Henry Rollins
 

The cold days of November are upon us!  Time to hunker down under a blanket with a cup of cocoa and a good book.  If you don't have any idea what to read next, maybe you'd like some suggestions.  Here's a couple I've read that have stuck with me:



Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen:  I love known tales turned on their heads, and this story of Neverland does just that.  A dark look at Peter Pan and the boys who never grow up.  Hook is not all that he appears in Disney's version of the story, that's for sure!




 Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein: a delightful book for ages 8-125.  A new library opens with a select few invited in for fun and games.  They get in, but can they get out??


I've read lots more, but those two are currently on our shelves ready to be checked out.  As soon as I finish up the final book in The Giver series by Lois Lowry (good!), I'll have to move on to The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich.  Our library book club is meeting a week early this month which means I have until the 19th to finish it.


The kids around here don't have school this Friday, October 14th.  We'll be showing Maleficent at 1:30.  Come in from the cold for this free showing, popcorn may be served.  


No comments:

Post a Comment